During my time in the Department of Neurology at at the Medical School Hannover, Germany, I gathered experience in the diagnosis and treatment of a wide spectrum of neurological disorders with an emphasis on disorders of muscles and of movement. Already at that point of my career I became fascinated by how psychological and emotional factors influence the severity of symptoms as well the course of illnesses and also determine how somehow is able to deal with the challenge of being ill.
As part of my psychiatric and psychotherapeutic training I worked at various hospitals and therapy facilities in London, UK, which allowed me to gain experience in a wide area of mental health problems. This included working at the Department of Behavioural Cognitive Therapy and Department of Family Therapy at Springfield University Hospital as well as the Department of Traumatic Stress and Department of Neuropsychiatry at St George's Medical School.
In addition, I have been treating a wide variety of mental health problems and physical complaints such as chronic pain in private practice since 2001.
I have been invited to give lectures, workshops and academic presentations in psychiatry, psychotherapy, cognitive behaviour therapy and hypnosis for medical students, psychiatrists, psychologists and psychotherapists. This included the 'South West London&St George's Mental Health Trust', 'St George's Medical School', 'Canterbury Christ Church University', Turkish Association of Psychopharmacology and Turkish Association of Cognitive Behaviour Therapy.
1) Würz A, Brinkmeier H, Wollinsky KH et al.: Liquor und Serum von Patienten mit Guillain-Barré-Syndrom haben entgegengesetzte Wirkung auf spannungsabhängige Natriumkanäle. Verhandlungen der Deutschen Gesellschaft für Neurologie 8:702-706 (1994)
2) Würz A, Brinkmeier H, Wollinsky KH et al.: Cerebrospinal fluid and serum from patients with inflammatory polyradiculoneuropathy have opposite effects on sodium channels. Muscle Nerve 18:772-781 (1995)
3) Würz A, Brinkmeier H, Wollinsky KH et al.: Cerebrospinal fluid and serum from patients with inflammatory polyradiculoneuropathy have opposite effects on sodium channels. J Neurol, 242:259 (abstract) (1995)
4) Mohammadi B, Mansuroglu T, Weckbecker K, Würz A, Lehmann-Horn F, Dengler R. Efficacy of mexiletine in Paramyotonia Congenita due to a pronounced use-dependent block of sodium channels. J Neurol, 244(suppl3):136(abstract) (1997)
5) Haeseler G, Leuwer M, Kavan J, Würz A, Dengler R, Piepenbrock S. Voltage-dependent block of normal and mutant muscle sodium channels by 4-Chloro-m-Cresol. Br J Pharmacol 128(6):1259-67 (1999)
6) Aulkemeyer P, Hausner G, Brinkmeier H, Weber F, Würz A; Heidenreich F; Rüdel R. The small sodium-channel blocking factor in the cerebrospinal fluid of multiple sclerosis patients is probably an oligopeptide. J Neurol Sci 1;172(1):49-54 (2000)
7) Würz A*, Weckbecker K*, Mohammadi B et al.: Different effects of mexiletine on two sodium channel mutations causing paramytonia congenita and hyperkalemic periodic paralysis. Neuromuscul Disord. 10(1):31-9 (2000).*shared authorhip
8) Rusakov D, Wuerz A,, Kullmann D: Heterogeneity and specificity of presynaptic Ca2+ current modulation by mGluRs at individual hippocampal synapses. Cereb Cortex. 14(7):748-58 (2004)
9) Graf M, Ecker D, Horowski R, Kramer B, Riederer P, Gerlach M, Hager C, Ludolph AC, Kramer B, Ecker D, Becker G, Osterhage J, Jost WH, Schrank B, Stein C, Kostopulos P, Lubik S, Wekwerth K, Dengler R, Troeger M, Wuerz A, Hoge A, Schrader C, Schimke N, Krampfl K, Petri S, Zierz S, Eger K, Neudecker S, Traufeller K, Sievert M, Neundorfer B, Hecht M.High dose vitamin E therapy in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis as add-on therapy to riluzole: results of a placebo-controlled double-blind study. J Neural Transm.Oct 27 (2004).
10) Wuerz A.: Book Review: Folensbee RW, The Neuroscience of psychological therapies. Cognitive Neuropsychiatry. 13(2):180-2 (2008)
11) Wuerz A.: Book Review: Vermetten MD et al: Traumatic Dissociation:Neurobiology and Treatment. Cognitive Neuropsychiatry (2008)
12) Würz A, Sungur MZ Combining cognitive behavioural therapy and pharmacotherapy in the treatment of anxiety disorders: true gains or false hopes?:Bulletin of Clinical Psychopharmacology 2009; 19(4):436-446
13) Poole NA, Wuerz A, Agrawal N: Abreaction for conversion disorder: systematic review with meta-analysis Br J Psychiatry 2010 Aug;197:91-5.